Ratterman Funeral Home.
 
In the 1850's the Ratterman family emigrated from Germany. Several of the Ratterman brothers settled in Cincinnati while others continued down the Ohio River to Louisville. Two of the brothers, George and Herman, settled near 8th and Green Street. They established in 1864 an undertaking establishment at 11th and Market as G. & H. Ratterman, Carpenters and makers of Fine Coffins. In 1902, John B. Ratterman, son of George took over the business at the age of 24. He married Lillian Ackerman in 1904 and together had 12 children consisting of ten boys and two girls.
 
They moved into the Ackerman home at 2114 West Market Street in 1914. The family moved to the upper floors and the first floor became the first real home for funeral in the city of Louisville. Funerals from a home for funerals became a new concept brought about by changing social norms. Even so, up until World War II, some families still preferred the deceased to be returned to the home for visitation, wake and funeral..
 
Eventually John B. Ratterman paired up his sons to start other locations. Lexington Road was the first in 1939, operated by John Jr. and Carl. In 1947 Joe and Cletus opened the Fourth Street location and in 1977 expanded to the Southside Drive location. In 1963 Emmett and Oscar opened a Funeral Home at Bardstown Road and later expanded to Cane Run Road in 1974.

The Fourth generation of Rattermans' now operates the six locations in Louisville with the same dedication and commitment that has become a tradition of excellence over the last 135 plus years. A tradition of service from one family to another
.